Date(s) - 01/27/2016
Add This Event to Your Calendar
- Musician, composer, visual artist, writer, producer.
- Founding member of Sonic Youth, from debut in 1981 thru demise in 2011 (30 years).
Recent solo albums include
- Between the Times and the Tides (2012) Matador
- Last Night On Earth (2013) Matador
- Acoustic Dust (2014) El Segell with contributions from The Dust: Steve Shelley, Alan Licht and Tim Luntzel, as well as Nels Cline, John Medeski, Jim O’Rourke, Kathy Leiesen, Leah Singer, Bob Bert and Irwin Menken. Live dates both with The Dust and solo commenced in early 2012 and have continued in various far-flung spots around the globe since then… Currently working on new album project with Spanish producer Raul Refree Fernandez.
Continued works with partner Leah Singer (Sight Unseen; Contre Jour) have been large scale, multi projection, often quadraphonic sound + light events, w Lee performing ‘suspended guitar phenomena’ in various locations around the world (recently: China, Australia, Iceland, Greece).
Orchestral Composition “Hurricane Transcriptions” based on wind sounds recorded during Hurricane Sandy Oct 2013 performed by Kaleidoskop Ensemble (Berlin) at Holland Festival (June 2013) and by Ensemble Offspring (Sydney) at Sydney Festival (January 2014). A newly-realized quartet version of this work will be performed with Dither Quartet (Brooklyn) in 2015.
Also continued work with Glacial Trio (with David Watson and Tony Buck) and Text of Light Group (with Alan Licht and Ulrich Krieger), which improvises to films by Stan Brakhage.
Night Fiction is Cian Nugent’s third album but his first taking on the role of singer-songwriter. Where his previous two albums: 2013’s Born With The Caul and 2011’s Doubles saw him exploring extended guitar based instrumentals with his band, The Cosmos, here he has reigned things in and focused his songwriting skills. Guitar fans, do not fear, there is still plenty of soloing and fingerpicking here. With 7 songs both solo and with his band, this album amalgamates everything Cian has done up to this point and reveals a more broad palate of influences, including The Velvet Underground, Richard Thompson, Television, Neil Young, John Lennon, Fred Neil, etc.
Recorded over a week beginning on Valentine’s Day 2015, Night Fiction was recorded in Bow Lane Studios in Dublin with Daniel Fox (Girl Band) and mixed by Brendan Jenkinson. The album’s seven songs include solo ventures as well as full-band recordings feat. David Lacey on drums, Conor Lumsden on bass, Brendan Jenkinson on organ and piano and Ailbhe Nic Oireachtaigh on viola. The vibe here is familiar yet refreshing and a logical progression for Cian.