Lou Reed – The Bells: A Daylong Celebration with Laurie Anderson & Hal Willner, curators | Free Event – Lincoln Center Out of Doors
Date(s) - 07/30/2016
Add This Event to Your Calendar
Free | More Information
Lou Reed’s art drew its energy from the worlds of poetry, pop music, experimental composition, and much more—so naturally Lincoln Center’s all-day celebration of this New York icon will be inspired by a diverse range of creative fields. Curated by two of Reed’s closest collaborators, musician and wife Laurie Anderson and friend and producer Hal Willner, The Bells offers revelers the chance to join a 360-degree Lou Reed experience. Begin the day as Reed would have, with an open class led by Reed’s tai chi instructor, Master Ren Guangyi, who will also offer an advanced weapons demonstration later in the afternoon. The commemoration then continues with live performances of Reed’s music by notable bands, an immersive installation of his six-guitar drone music, and readings of his lyrics by noted authors and actors.
When night falls, friends and admirers come together for a set of Reed’s love songs, given fresh voice by a cross-genre cast of musicians who are keen to pay tribute to this visionary solo artist and founding member of The Velvet Underground. To close out the evening, grab a pair of headphones for a late-night screening of Julian Schnabel’s Berlin, a critically acclaimed film documenting Reed’s 2006 performances at St. Ann’s Warehouse in Brooklyn.
The Bells: A Daylong Celebration of Lou Reed
- 10:15 am: Josie Robertson Plaza | Tai chi lesson with Master Ren GuangYi
- 11:00 am–4:00 pm: Alice Tully Hall Morgan Stanley Lobby | Lou Reed DRONES (An immersive sound installation created from six of Lou Reed’s guitars and amps in a feedback loop.)
- 11:30 am: Damrosch Park Bandshell | Music performances to include a house band with Don Fleming, Sal Maida, Kenny Margolis, Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley, and Matt Sweeney with guest singers: Joanaspolicewoman, David Johansen, Lenny Kaye, Jesse Malin, Kembra Pfahler, Felice Rosser, Harper Simon, Jon Spencer, Bush Tetras, JG Thirlwell, and Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls
- 12:00 pm–7:00 pm: Film Society’s Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center’s Amphitheater, 144 West 65th Street | Red Shirley | Lou Reed: Rock and Roll Heart | A Night with Lou Reed | Selections of Lou Reed recordings from Lou Reed – The RCA & Arista Album Collection (Legacy Recordings/Sony Music Entertainment) | A Night with Lou Reed is presented courtesy of Lightyear Entertainment.
- 2:00 pm: Hearst Plaza | Tai chi chuan and weapon demonstrations by Master Ren GuangYi | Eagle claw weapons demonstration by Masters Emmanuel Sam and Paul Lee
- 3:00 pm: Hearst Plaza | Pass Thru Fire Reading: Lyrics of Lou Reed with Elizabeth Ashley, Steve Buscemi, Anne Carson, Kim Cattrall, Willem Dafoe, A.M. Homes, Natasha Lyonne, Julian Schnabel, Fisher Stevens, Anne Waldman, and more
- 7:30 pm: Damrosch Park Bandshell | Lou Reed’s Love Songs featuring Laurie Anderson, Anohni, Emily Haines, Garland Jeffreys, David Johansen, Mark Kozelek, Bill Laswell, John Cameron Mitchell, Maxim Moston, Jenni Muldaur, Jane Scarpantoni, Victoria Williams, Jim White, John Zorn and more
- 10:30 pm: Damrosch Park Bandshell | Lou Reed’s Berlin (Film screening with headphones) _Silent Movie powered by Quiet Events_