Date(s) - 08/13/2016 - 08/14/2016
12:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Add This Event to Your Calendar
More Information | $5 Suggested Donation
Saris. Disco. Dancing. Amitabh Bachchan. Aishwarya Rai. Get ready for the epic Bollywood Marathon at Machine Project and Echo Park Film Center!
Over the course of 12 hours, we’ll be transporting you to the streets of Mumbai, the fields of Switzerland, and the Mughal courts of emperor Akbar. Bollywood fanatic Robin Sukhadia curates three of Bollywood’s greatest films, with a sprinkling of live music, literary interpretations, lectures, and samosas in between. Expect special guests. Drop in for a minute, stay a while, or the entire day!
- 12PM Welcome to Bollywood
- 2:30–3:15PM Lecture on The Mughals and Bollywood
- 4–4:45PM Lecture on AR Rahman and Amitabh Bachchan
- 7–8:30PM Literary Interpretations of Bollywood | Six writers riff on the highs and lows of Bollywood film featuring Neelanjana Banerjee, Xochitl-Julisa Bermejo, Saurabh Kikani, Kenji Liu, Nihar Patel, and Minal Hajratwala.
- 9–10PM Bollywood Remixed by SADUBAS and special musical guests
- 12:30–4PM Jodhaa Akbar (2008) – Subtitled
- 4:45–7PM Silsila (1981) – Subtitled
- 7:45–11PM Qurbani (1980)
- 11:30PM–12AM (midnight) The Sound We See: A Guwahati City Symphony (2014)
Featuring Bollywood Art from Kalakari
Robin Sukhadia is a Bollywood scholar and a disciple of tabla maestro, Pandit Swapan Chaudhuri. In 2011, he completed a Senior Research Fulbright Fellowship in India, where he developed 6 music education programs across India and Nepal, each serving children in some of the poorest regions and communities of South Asia.