Date(s) - 04/17/2017 - 04/23/2017
7:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Add This Event to Your Calendar
Opening Night Celebration Program (APR 17)
- To include a superstar emcee and performances by special guests to be announced
Program Curated by Misty Copeland (WED, THU, FRI)
- Nashville Ballet: Concerto (Folds/Vasterling)
- Complexions Contemporary Ballet: Strum (Metallica/Rhoden)
- The Black Iris Project: Madiba (Moore/McQueen)
- Apr. 19: Free Post-Performance Discussion with the Artistic Directors and staff of Nashville Ballet, Complexions, and the Black Iris Project
Program Curated by Justin Peck (SAT, SUN)
- L.A. Dance Project: Hearts and Arrows (Glass/Millipied)
- Abraham.In.Motion: The Gettin’ (Glasper/Abraham) with live music on stage
- The Joffrey Ballet: Fool’s Paradise (Talbot/Wheeldon)
- Apr. 22 (eve.): Free Post-Performance Discussion with the Artistic Directors and staff of LA Dance Project, Abraham.In.Motion, and The Joffrey Ballet
The Kennedy Center honors innovation and diversity in American ballet with the return of this popular weeklong celebration. Placing artists at the center of the conversation as never before, this season’s engagement explores new directions in the art form through programs curated by two of the biggest superstars in the ballet world: ABT Principal Dancer Misty Copeland and New York City Ballet Resident Choreographer and Soloist Justin Peck.
As Copeland and Peck offer their unique perspective and insight via engaging film segments interspersed throughout the performances, audiences will get an extraordinary chance to see the thrill, challenge, and future of dance through their eyes. Each program will also speak to themes central to the Kennedy Center’s centennial celebration of John F. Kennedy, while the first evening for each will be followed by a fascinating discussion with the curator and artistic directors.
A spectacular opening night celebration bringing together a variety of special guests will open the week, which promises to attract ballet lovers from all across the country and around the world. So be sure to join our one-of-a-kind exploration that could only be dreamed up and delivered by the nation’s center for the performing arts.