Date(s) - 11/10/2017 - 11/11/2017
7:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Visual Arts
- Free Event
Add This Event to Your Calendar
An Event from San Francisco Art Institute
- November 10, 7-10PM
- November 11, 12-5PM
Celebrate SFAI’s new Fort Mason Campus at the free weekend-long Opening Spectacle at both campuses.
OPENING WEEKEND EVENTS:
- A special edition of SFAI’s annual CONCENTRATE: Student Art Sale + Open Studios that gives visitors the opportunity to purchase student artworks and participate in a host of art-related activities.
- Open Studios-the chance to see the work of over 100 student emerging artists.
- Newly unveiled exhibitions and commissioned art works by Alicia McCarthy, Jon Rubin, Sans façon will be on view-or debut-at the Opening Spectacle.
- Live performances and music.
- A pop up Fort Point Beer Co. beer garden and food trucks.
- … and More!
OPENING EXHIBITION AND PUBLIC ARTIST COMMISSIONS:
- Inaugural Group Exhibition: “In Around Beyond”
- On view: November 11, 2017-January 6, 2018
- Locations: SFAI-Fort Mason + SFAI-Chestnut Street’s Walter and McBean Galleries
- Opening reception: Friday, November 10, 7-10PM at SFAI-Fort Mason
For its inaugural public exhibition at the Fort Mason Campus, SFAI is commissioning alumni, faculty, and affiliated artists to share new works in, around, and beyond the new building. The exhibition and series of commissions highlights a select group of more than a dozen artists, including Keith Boadwee, Gutzom Borglum, Maria Elena Gonzalez, Bill Fontana, Mads Lynnerup, Alicia McCarthy, Jon Rubin, Sans façon, and Mel Ziegler, among others.
The new commissions and installations include:
- A centerpiece mural by SFAI alumna and faculty member Alicia McCarthy (BFA 1994).
- “You are here,” an outdoor installation by international art collective Sans façon, will debut as a beacon for the new campus.
- A new project by Jon Rubin will reveal the hidden histories of SFAI in the form of famous and infamous ‘retired’ student art pieces.
About San Francisco Art Institute:
The San Francisco Art Institute (SFAI) has been a magnet for some of the most adventurous artists and thinkers of the last century. We offer undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as exhibitions, lectures, and public programs.