Date(s) - 01/31/2020
7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Barnsdall Gallery Theatre
- Visual Arts
- All Ages
Add This Event to Your Calendar
BUY TICKETS $20 Pre-Sale ($25 at the door), $40 Pre-Order 2 x Vinyl LP + Admission, $15 Students | All ages welcome. Free Parking.
- 7PM Doors Open for Pre-Concert Art Exhibition
- 8PM Concert – Reception to Follow
- Dan Rosenboom – cornet, trumpet, compositions
- Gavin Templeton, David Binney – saxophones
- Alexander Noice, Jake Vossler, Tim Conley – guitars
- Jeff Babko – keyboards
- Troy Zeigler – electronics
- Jerry Watts, Jr. – bass
- Gary Novak – drums
- Aubre Hill – dance
- Travis Flournoy – live video art
- Eron Rauch, Nevena Binney – visual art installations
In a time marked by unpredictability and absurd realities, music imbued with spontaneity and improvisation seems especially relevant. Internationally recognized trumpet player and composer-producer-entrepreneur Dan Rosenboom embraces the chaos and seeks to endow us with hope and joy along the way.
Absurd in the Anthropocene – out January 31, 2020 via Gearbox Records – is in line with his abstract musicianship and virtuous experimentalism but, naturally, pushes the envelope. The record’s inspirations run the gamut from Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman to Frank Zappa, Soundgarden, and Squarepusher, and its title refers to the complicated and often surreal times in which we live.
A musician dedicated to exploration and expression, regardless of anyone’s imagined boundaries.
– Chris Barton, Los Angeles Times
A singularly creative voice whose unique aesthetic encompasses an array of idiosyncratic influences…a lyrical virtuoso with a commanding tone, whose expansive trumpet technique is saliently paralleled in his diverse writing…an artist on the rise.
– Troy Collins, All About Jazz
IMAGE by Aubre Hill