Date(s) - 03/11/2019 - 03/12/2019
9:30 pm - 12:00 am
- Spoken Word
Add This Event to Your Calendar
SUGGESTED DONATION $7-15
- 11PM Elliott Levin, Tom Rollison, Mogauwane Mahloele, Cartoon Justice
Elliott Levin will appear in a marathon series of performances around the Bay Area. Each performance will provide a unique listener experience exploring the expression in words and music of the free jazz palette of a veteran musician/writer. For these engagements, Elliott’s saxophone, flute, and spoken word/poetry work will be accompanied by a shifting cast of players from the New Olduvai Ensemble and Cartoon Justice Improvisation Collective:
- Tom Rollison – guitar, bass, electronics
- Mark Pino – drums, percussion
- Elijah Pontecorvo – bass
- Kersti Abrams – alto saxophone, flute, North African double-reeds, Mbira
- Mika Pontecorvo – guitar, flute, electronics.
Elliott’s Bay Area sojourn will include:
- The Luggage Store Gallery (MAR 7)
- The Back Room (MAR 8)
- Oakland Freedom Jazz Society (MAR 11)
- The Peacock Lounge (MAR 13)
- Bird and Beckett (MAR 14).
As mentioned, each performance will have a unique character, but the longer set times and more intimate spaces on March 8 at The Backroom in Berkeley and March 14 at Bird and Beckett book store in Glen Park will allow for a more extended and nuanced look into his unique and engaging approach to free jazz poetry and music expression.
Elliott Levin is an accomplished talent, with years of experience in playing with free/avant-jazz titans like Cecil Taylor and Sun Ra reedmen Marshall Allen and John Gilmore, experimentalists like Don Preston (The Mothers of Invention and Frank Zappa) and lending a more straight ahead sax sound to groups like Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, in addition to his own ensembles.