Date(s) - 03/13/2021
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Add This Event to Your Calendar
Let’s Paint a White-Crowned Sparrow
Join us in this fun online workshop and learn how to paint realistic birds, even if you’re just a beginner (acrylic painters welcome). Learn how to paint bird feathers, eyes and beaks. You will also be taught how to create a Rembrandt portrait style background.
Step by step instructions, walk you through techniques in drawing, painting, brushwork and color mixing. Bird portraits are very satisfying to paint because they are easier, and you get to show the bird’s expression.
By the end of these tutorials, you will know how to complete a bird portrait painting from start to finish. You will be able to read your subjects correctly and know how to work with the dark colors on your palette so that the light colors appear brighter and more beautiful.
Students are expected to provide their own supplies in order to participate.
We recommend using the best possible materials, even as a beginner, it makes painting easier.
- Oil Paint: Windsor and Newton Titanium White, Windsor and Newton Cadmium Yellow Light, Windsor and Newton Cadmium Yellow Deep, Windsor and Newton Yellow Ochre, Rembrandt Transparent Oxide Brown, Rembrandt Cobalt Blue Light
- Brushes: 2 – 3 Fine Detail, Soft Round Brushes – Small sizes, 3 – 4 Flat/Bright Brushes – Small, Medium and Large Sizes; 1 Medium Soft Blender Brush, 1 Medium Soft Blender Fan Brush,1 Medium Comber or Grass Brush
- Good Quality Canvas or Panel with a Smooth Finish :10 x 10″ or 9 x 12″
- Gamsol for brush Cleaning
- Brush Tank
- Walnut Oil (optional)
- Paper Towels
- Palette and Palette Knife
- Paint Scraper
About the Instructor:
Rose Tanner is an award-winning artist who loves the outdoors and studying birds. She is dedicated to portraying her subjects using traditional oil painting techniques, but she believes it’s her attention to their inner being that gives them their lifelike quality in her paintings. She travels widely for her subjects and is active in supporting endangered birds and their habitat. Rose volunteers as a juror for the Federation of Canadian Artist (FCA) and sits on the FCA Victoria Board of Directors. She teaches online workshops and enjoys sharing her knowledge of realistic colour mixing.
Sponsored by Opus